The Andersons

Hello all! This blog is an attempt to give the world - our friends, families, and neighbors a little glimpse into our life.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Stuff Brayden Said

Sometimes parents just need space, and with two small chidren, it becomes harder and harder to come by, so we take every opportunity, even the small ones. Ones like going to the bathroom. So when I locked the bathroom door, I expected to not be distrubed. Then I hear the doorknob rattle.

"Daddy?"

"What Brayden?"

Daddyyyyy!?

Now more door knob rattling, then to my amazement a door knob turning and opening, and I find myself staring eye level at Brayden.

"Your not supposed to do that!" (By this he means lock the door) "Why did you do that Daddy?"

"Because I wanted some privacy!"

Brayden shrugs and says "Oh, all you had to do is ask." turns arround and shuts the door behind him.

I'm left wondering several things.

1. How did he know how to open the locked door? (This is usually accomplished with a coin or in some cases a thumbnail and some grim determination, and something that we never taught Brayden, for obvious reasons) This is disturbing for several reasons and means I may need to install new and higher locks on some doors.

2. What does it mean that he is sophisticated enough to understand the need for privacy and to be OK with Daddy needing privacy, but not sophisticated enough to understand that a locked door indicates that the person behind it is seeking privacy in the first place? Along those same lines it was like he was granting me privacy and knew it. It was like he knew he had the power, and was granting one of his servants a request for time off. This is not a good sign of things to come.

I think my three year old may be outsmarting me. It is going to be an interesting 15 years.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

15 years? oh no, that'll last forever!

2:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"granting one of his servants a request for time off." ... sounds very much like something I suspect about several of my grandchildren. Is this new to this generation or is my generation a little slow to accept what should be obvious?

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home